Are you looking for Best Drawing Pencils?
Do you become good at drawing with the right pencil?
Not necessarily. There is no magic pencil that makes you an artist. With the right pencil, however, it is easier to learn the basics of drawing and train your hand to achieve what you have in mind.
One thing is certain: to learn how to draw you need to have the right tools.
Best Drawing Pencils to Buy in 2022
There are many questions before starting to study drawing. When you get carried away, all students develop their own drawing techniques and know which pencils are best suited to their style.
Beginner students, however, can have many doubts, especially if they have to buy the material par excellence without which it is impossible to give life to their drawings: the pencil. So let’s see how to choose the Best Drawing Pencils according to the work you want to do.
Pencil for drawing: how was it born?
Let’s take a little step back. To understand how to choose a pencil we must first remember how this tool is produced. The drawing pencil as we know it today, which is a lead inserted in a wooden casing, made its first appearance in England in the sixteenth century.
Konrad Steiner was the creator of the wooden pencil concept in 1565, following the discovery of graphite. Over time this tool has undergone significant improvements.
These are some of the characters who have marked the history of drawing pencils and the professional or amateur artists who have used them:
- Nicolas-Jacques Conté: In 1794, when graphite became difficult to find due to a commercial blockade with England, this French scholar invented a pencil by mixing graphite and clay, which were pressure cooked at high temperatures. Even today it is the process used to produce pencils. Conté patented his invention and started producing the pencils that are still on the market today.
- Lothar Faber: a few years later, in 1840, another inventor made changes that improve the pencil. Lothar Faber tries to work on the hardness of the mines, developing different cooking procedures. It is this German manufacturer who gives the stick that holds the lead the typical hexagonal shape, thus preventing the casing from rotating around the graphite.
Colored pencils only appeared at the beginning of the 20th century. Previously, colored wax crayons were used. These pieces of wood with a colored core were invented by another German manufacturer, still the market leader: Johann-Sebastian Staedtler. Without his invention, kindergarten and primary school children would not have been able to use colors as a basis for the drawing.
Even though graphics tablets are catching on today, nothing can replace a good pencil! However, hand-drawing and technology are by no means antagonistic; find out how much a drawing course for beginners can be interesting online for example! There is something for all tastes, for beginners, adults, even high school!
Best Drawing Pencils | Comparison Table 2022
|Castle Art Supplies Graphite Drawing Pencils and Sketch Set (40-Piece Kit), Complete Artist Kit Includes Charcoals, Pastels and Zippered Carry Case, Includes Rare Pop-Up Stand||Castle Art Supplies||Check Price|
|Nicpro 6 PCS Art Mechanical Pencils Set with Case, Drafting Pencil 0.3 & 0.5 & 0.7 & 0.9 mm and 2mm Lead Holder (4B 2B HB 2H) For Art Writing, Sketching Drawing,With Lead Refills Erasers Sharpener||Nicpro||Check Price|
|Staedtler Mars Lumograph Art Drawing Pencils, 12 Pack Graphite Pencils in Metal Case, Break-Resistant Bonded Lead, 100 G12||STAEDTLER||Check Price|
|Mr. Pen- Sketch Pencils for Drawing, 14 Pack, Drawing Pencils, Art Pencils, Graphite Pencils, Graphite Pencils for Drawing, Art Pencils for Drawing and Shading, Shading Pencils for Sketching||Mr. Pen||Check Price|
|Norberg & Linden XL Drawing Set - Sketching, Graphite and Charcoal Pencils. Includes 100 Page Drawing Pad, Kneaded Eraser, Blending Stump. Art Kit and Supplies for Kids, Teens and Adults.||Norberg & Linden||Check Price|
|144pcs Painting, Drawing & Art Supplies Set - Colored Drawing Pencils Set - Sketching, Graphite Pencils with Portable Case, Ideal Art Kit for Beginners & Professional Drawing Artists Teens & Adults||Rapify||Check Price|
|Dyvicl Professional Drawing Sketching Pencil Set - 12 Pieces Drawing Pencils 10B, 8B, 6B, 5B, 4B, 3B, 2B, B, HB, 2H, 4H, 6H Graphite Pencils for Beginners & Pro Artists||Dyvicl||Check Price|
|Kasimir Drawing Pencils 14pcs/set 12B, 10B, 8B, 7B, 6B, 5B, 4B, 3B, 2B, B, HB, 2H, 4H, 6H Graphite Sketching Pencils Professional Sketch Pencils Set for Drawing||Kasimir||Check Price|
|Castle Art Supplies 12 piece Drawing Art Pencils Set for Adults Kids and Artists | Graphite Sketch Pencils with BONUS Tin Case | Perfect Starter Sketching Shading Pencils or Top Up Set Art Supplies||Castle Art Supplies||Check Price|
Best Drawing Pencils | 2022 Products Overview
Drawing pencils: how to choose the best ones in 2022
Even today, the pencil is a fundamental tool for many people, from an elementary school pupil to an established architect, without forgetting an artist or a simple art lover.
For designers or aspiring designers taking a drawing course, it is important to have pencils of different designs and materials.
Our advice for choosing the right pencil is to learn to distinguish mines that are classified according to their hardness :
- H (Hard): they are the hard tip pencils, also called dry. They allow you to make precise strokes and last a long time. The color varies from light gray to medium gray. Pencil H can be easily erased because it has a thin and clear stroke. This is why it is ideal for technical drawing.
- B (Black): they are greasy pencils, with a soft tip. They leave a dark stroke, but their tender lead wears out quickly. Furthermore, they are difficult to erase. The designers correct the strokes made with this pencil thanks to the gum pane. For the pasty and dark strokes, Pencil B is one of the pencils for artistic drawing.
- HB (Hard Black): these are medium-hard pencils and are widely consumed. The traits obtained can be erased without difficulty. They are the most requested pencils for school children.
- F (Fine Point): these are the pencils that are halfway between HB and H for hardness level.
You will have understood, the choice of the pencil is very wide. The problem certainly does not arise for a virtual whiteboard! To summarize: an H-type hard lead is used for technical drawing. That B, or soft, is typical of pencils for artistic drawing.
So far, it all seems very simple. Things get complicated when you have to choose between type B pencils from different brands.
The pencils from the harsh H mina are accompanied by a number ranging from 1 to 9. The higher the number the more the tip of the pencil will be dry.
The same goes for type B fat pencils. The higher the figure, the greasier the tip will be.
B pencils, due to their softness, are difficult to erase.
Our advice is to proceed step by step. To make a sketch you could use a 2H type pencil with a rather hard tip. Remember that H pencils can be erased with the white eraser. This way you can correct the sketch without difficulty before moving on to the actual art drawing.
When you are sure of your sketch, you can start using pencil B, choosing a more or less greasy tip depending on the stroke you want to make.
There is no ranking of the best drawing pencils; the choice depends on the preferences of each designer who evaluates the pros and cons of a pencil based on the use he wants to make of it.
The advantage of a pencil B is that you can go over the drawing pad several times. Depending on the inclination of the pencil and the pressure exerted on the paper, you will get a more or less thick or dark stroke. With a type B pencil, you can get shades ranging from gray to black. Remember, however, that to erase drawings made with a pencil B you need the rubber and not a common eraser.
If you have a specific project in mind, you can ask your drawing teacher for more information, even by opting for an online drawing course. There are also professional ones and for all tastes, for children and adults, for beginners and artists.
Types of pencils for drawing in drawing class
It is important to choose the brand of your drawing pencils well, their quality depends on them!
Some mines may contain harder grains and are likely to leave marks that are difficult to erase from the sheet. Also, a bad quality mine tends to break quickly.
How to recognize the best pencils for drawing
You can recognize a quality pencil by the homogeneity and strength of graphite.
If when you temper the new pencil the tip breaks constantly, even if you have been careful to put it back correctly in the case, it is obvious that you have to look for a higher quality product.
Mind you: the pencils have a very affordable price, even if they are produced by the best houses. The point is not to interrupt the artist in you because you don’t have the right pencil.
Choosing a well-known brand is already an indication of quality, but it is not enough. Sometimes, even if you buy two pencils of the same type, their degree of hardness will not be the same because the yield on the sheet of paper depends on the manufacturer.
It is therefore important to try out different models of different brands before figuring out which are the best drawing pencils. If this is your first purchase, the best thing to do is go to a shop that specializes in fine art. Not only will you be able to try the best drawing pencils, but also take advantage of the advice of professionals in painting and art in general.
Also, remember that:
- To choose the best drawing pencils try to try different models and brands keeping in mind the general rule of their hardness. The H pencils give a more subtle stroke and are suitable for technical drawing, the B pencils give a darker and mellow stroke and are ideal for artistic drawing.
- The major manufacturers of pencils are also those who have made history, from the discovery of graphite to the invention of colors or colored pencils..
- In addition to graphite pencils, there are other rather ancient materials that are still widely used, especially for making portraits. This is the case with sanguine and charcoal. If you love to draw cartoons and comics by hand you absolutely must have a blue pencil. Some illustrators use a mechanical pencil to make their own sketches.
Don’t forget to buy a quality sharpener, suitable erasers, a pencil case, and a sketchbook. The complete set for aspiring designers also includes books for learning to draw, unless you intend to hire a teacher for a private or group course.
With this material you can create a landscape, trace the features of a face, represent animals, the human body, still life, to name a few.
You just have to train before making your paintings!
If, on the other hand, you want to make a gift to a friend, the above-mentioned products are best for you. there is a professional product and ideal for chiaroscuro artists and those who love professional work. If you are looking for gift ideas for children or adults and of course for you, ask your drawing teacher for the advice!