Fan of inventions and digital equipment for a long time, I have the chance to have done my job around video projection, and I see many models of pico projectors, and their equipment and I come to share with you my years of personal experiences and the news concerning the “Best pico Projector”. I launched Bestvela on a whim to share my passion with you. Previously I shared my reviews on Best outdoor projectors if you have not read it, go and give a skip read because it contains beneficial information about projectors.
What is a pico projector?
Pico Projectors? It’s like having in your pocket a miniaturised video projector in your bag or pocket!
A pico projector, also called a mini projector, is nothing more than a portable projector of size and reduced weight. It is a video projector but more practical with performance even more accentuated than satisfactory, for a price quite reasonable, within reach of all.
It is easily transportable thanks to its size and its reduced weight. A definite plus for people wishing to use it as a tool during a meeting, coupled to a laptop or even a smartphone through a WiFi connection. It makes it a nomadic product almost a must.
To share this passion and make you want to own a pico projector or a mini projector, I recently tested for you the best models that are, having access. And do not worry, I took into account all the essential criteria! You will find on my site a wide range of pico projectors adapted to your use and your budget.
It will not be equal to a conventional projector, even if the quality of these only increases from year to year (not to say from month to month). The pico projector nevertheless offers many advantages over the video projector. Small as they are, pico projectors are very different. Each model has its technology. As a result, their performance varies by brand and model.
Learn more about Outdoor Projectors by reading our ultimate guide.
Let’s see in detail the main features of a pico projector and why to buy a mini projector.
For the purchase, I advise you to take into account some criteria:
- The lumens (which determine the luminosity of the device, the contrast)
- The graphics resolution
- The autonomy
- The existence of Bluetooth which are criteria of permanent bases.
Top Pick |
|Product Name||Weight (Ib)||Image size (Inches)||Price $$|
|DBPOWER (Editor's Choice)||2.2||176|
|Vivitek Qumi Q6-BK||1.1||107|
|Optoma ML750 WXGA||0.8||100|
|Lg Mini Beam Pv150g||0.6||100|
|Optoma PICO PK320 (Recomended)||0.5||150|
|ArtliArtlii i Cheapest Pico Projector||0.5||60|
Best Pico Projector 2018 Reviews
1. DBPOWER: Best Cheap Mini Projector (Editor’s Choice)
This article stands apart from other conventional mini LED projectors since it offers a perfect brightness of 1500 lumens. It is a device that does not harm the health of the eyes of the audience since it allows a 1000 contrast in a bright space to maintain good image quality.
This device is easy to use and handle because you only need to connect it to a source, turn it on and you’re done. The image settings will be made automatically by the device.
The last strength of this device is its ability to be compatible with various types of players and box decoders not to mention the game consoles.
- Equipped with an intelligent cooling system, it switches off automatically in case of overheating
- compared to other projectors; its brightness is high. Its 1500 lumens is great.
- Apart from the quality of the display, its use is among the most simplistic
- LED lamp that works up to 50,000 hours
- Hifi Stereo Speaks produce great volume
- In our test, we found this is the World’s Brightest Pocket Projector
If you are looking for a Outdoor Projector Screen read our reviews here.
2 AAXA P300: Best Mini projector with Tripod
The AAXA P300 is bright enough for dark rooms and those with a little light. It's easier to position yourself for a bigger picture than your competitors. Also, it has better contrast ratios, more inputs than other models and an optional battery for use on the go. Other models may be more portable, but will not be as useful as the AAXA P300.
It is a portable device of 439 grams that you can move comfortably to where you need so that you can use it at home or in your office without problems. Likewise, it allows remote operation with the help of the remote control but includes the quick action buttons, if you prefer to do the handling manually.
Also Read Best projector you can buy under 500
- Speaker: includes a built-in speaker so you can play directly without needing anything else.
- Battery: you can use it both connected to the current and batteries, with an approximate time of use of 120 minutes in this mode.
- Tripod: an easy-to-use and easy-to-use mounting tripod are included to enhance playback and keep the player safe.
- Lifespan: the bulb included in the projector guarantees up to 20,000 hours of use
- The projector is updated 500 LED Lumen optical engine with Vibrant Color
- Connectivity: HDMI, mini VGA, 3.5mm Aux Out
Recommendation: Although the brand is not known, we are talking about a product powered by Texas Instruments technology, which guarantees the quality and proper functioning of it. A compact and quality projector that you can use for everything from watching movies to making business presentations, without problems.
3. Vivitek Qumi Q6-BK: Best Pocket Projector
The Black and rather thin with 34 mm thick Vivitek is compact and solid design pico projector. This device weighs only 475 g, also incorporates very interesting features. So you can easily carry it wherever you need to take advantage of its WXGA resolution, 800 lumens brightness and 30,000: 1 contrast.
Also, the Vivitek Q6 supports HD 720p, has 2 HDMI ports, a USB port and can project content from multiple devices, such as smartphones, tablets, digital cameras, USB sticks, laptops and even from its 2.5 GB internal memory. The Vivitek Q6 is also compatible WiFi, MHL with an integrated document viewer to allow you to make projections without a computer and share content with iOS or Android devices.
It is easily carried away and does not even require platinum to function. Indeed, it includes a chip capable of decoding the main formats of multimedia files from a USB key. Still, it must always be associated with a pair of speakers or headphones, because the built-in speaker does not announce very powerful. The Optoma ML750 also uses a 720p DLP platform with LED backlighting. It has the advantage of offering a very long life, but a reasonably low brightness.
- Well bear to be flummoxed in each of your travels
- It is also delivered with a bag to carry it more easily with its accessories (remote control and video cable adapter VGA)
- We would have liked it to be equipped with a battery
- LED platform integrated into this projector offers the advantage of an almost infinite lifetime (the manufacturer announces more than 20 000 hours)
- Its USB port and its decoding chip are real assets since the compatibility is good: Jpeg, DivX, WMV, Xvid, H264, MKV even the office files (.doc, .xls, .ppt and .pdf)
Recommendation: The Optoma ML750 is not a projector designed to impress you. This device is for people looking for a small device, easy to carry, able to operate independently and, above all, offering an excellent life. we like this model the fidelity of images in cinema mode and the ability to watch movies stored on a USB key.
5. Lg Mini Beam Pv150g: Best Mini Portable Projector
Easily transportable, this pico-projector is equipped with a rechargeable battery and benefits from attractive wireless functions. Only his image quality, far from perfect, casts a shadow on the board. It is compact enough (11.5 x 11.5 x 4.4 cm) to be easily carried in a bag.
It operates on mains switch but also has a rechargeable battery. We measured an autonomy of 2 h 42 min, which is more than enough to watch a movie. In addition to the AC adapter, LG delivers a small remote control that fortunately proves pleasant to use.
The projector can also be controlled by a mini joystick that is located on the housing, the latter having a small lever placed above the lens, to adjust the focus.
- With a display resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels, LG’s video projector delivers a relatively accurate image
- The contrast ratio is very high; 100,000:1 which delivers deep black and white colour
- It has provided full connectivity with an HDMI input, a USB port and an audio output to connect a headset.
- The Minibeam PH150G is catching up with two rather interesting wireless features. Thanks to its Bluetooth interface, it sends the sound to a compatible headphone or speaker.
- better quality and above all more potent than that delivered by the internal speaker limited to 1 W
- It is also compatible with the Miracast and Screen Share Wi-Fi & wireless screen sharing features on android, ios, and windows.
- It is possible to play media files directly from a key or a USB hard drive, and accepts most common multimedia formats in audio, photo and video (up to 1080p)
- The projector has a wide range of settings that can act on the keystone (Keystone), brightness, contrast, sharpness and colors.
Recomendation: The projector that is appreciated for its compactness, which makes it easily transportable, and its autonomy of 2:40, which allows to use it away from any power outlet for a movie.
6. Samsung SP-H03 Best Small Projector
Here is a very small projector signed Samsung. The SP-H03 is a pico type model; it ships a DLP chip from Texas Instrument. Its builder sees big and announces us a real concentrate of power in the palm of the hand. Let's see !
We are always amazed to see that a projector of this type can fit in one hand. With its battery (2 hours of battery life in eco mode), it grows in a significant way while remaining compact.
- The 1W loudspeaker offers great sound, and that should be used especially as a backup
- It is integrating backlit tactile keys on its upper facade.
- It was very quiet to use. We measured its operating noise level at only 25 dB
- you can connect a cable with VGA adapter, an AV In input (audio, video), a headphone output and a mini USB plug.
- Its internal memory is much higher: 1 GB, with a micro SD slot accepting cards up to 16 GB.
- The highlight management is correct. At least, it is much better than other pico projectors
- 30,000 hours of lamp life
Recommendation: The video rendering quality of this projector is slightly better in clear pictures (highlights) than other pico. However, its lower brightness and reduced connectivity make it lose the battle of the image. It nevertheless retains the advantage over the compactness.
7. LG PH150G : Best Bluetooth pico projector
The LG is a trusted brand and its model PH150G 's projection capability has a real HD Ready 780p image, which significantly improves the perceived image quality during projections, up to 100 inches diagonally. This is the best airplay mini project i saw on the market.
- Image quality: One of the advantages of this model is its image quality. Unlike the models found in some comparative pico projectors, this equipment has an HD Ready resolution that, however, remains even in the largest projections, which can reach up to 100 inches diagonally.
- High contrast: from 100,000 to 1, which makes it easier to see each tone and each colour accordingly. An image quality in which your LED bulb has high importance, which offers a useful life of about 30,000 hours, which makes it easier to amortise the investment in the product.
- Product connectivity: As with this model, which stands out among the newest pico projectors of the moment, the product has different connectivity options, which make it easier to play your favourite content. For starters, the model incorporates a USB port, with which to directly play any content, including Office files, thanks to the integrated player.
- Portability: To close the aspects for which this product stands out, we can not leave aside its mobility. An aspect in which the integrated battery, which has about 2.5 hours of autonomy, allows us to take the projector wherever we want without complications. Something to which the weight and measures of this product also contribute.
Recommendation:A pico projector with a good image quality and a considerable capacity to project all types of content in a simple way, in a model that remains as portable and autonomous as any other product on the market.
8. Optoma PICO PK320 : Best Value for Money
When looking for a featured product among the best mini projectors of 2018, the Optoma PICO PK320 is an attractive option, because with this device you can project images up to a distance of 3.4 meters, which is very useful to project various types of content, from a video , to a gallery of images or a presentation.
It is also a very light device, so you can take it anywhere you want, whether you use it at home or a business meeting, because it weighs only 249 grams and measures 12 x 7 centimetres, so that you can save it without problems.
So you can handle it more comfortably, it includes its respective remote control to make the remote control. Also, it has a simple panel with the necessary action buttons located at the top, in case you want to make some adjustments manually.
- Wide projection: this projector allows you to have images with a full diagonal of up to 150 inches on the screen.
- Connectivity: in addition to the HDMI, USB and VGA outputs also has a composite video output to connect older devices.
- High brightness: with its 100 lumens of illumination capacity, this projector offers superior light and image quality despite its small size.
- Size: it is one of the most compact models within the projectors peaks, with measures of only 7 x 12 x 3 centimetres.
- Compatible: this product can be used with both Windows systems and MAC devices.
Recommendation: Ideal for those looking for a projector that is the perfect mix between image quality and compact design. In addition, its compatibility also with MAC devices distinguishes it from many other pico projectors on the market.
9. Philips PPX3414 : Best Pico Projector 1080p
In contrast to other models and designs, the Philips PPX3414 pico projector offers features and versatility that few models offer.
Among these functions we find an internal memory of 4 gigs, where you can store any content you want to see, as well as a viewer for Office files, so you do not have to carry the laptop to play your presentations. Also, you will not have to worry about the audio either, because this product includes an integrated speaker.
The high-quality reproduction capacity allows obtaining a wall image equivalent to a 120-inch screen, with a brightness level suitable for this size.
All in a compact size design and a very lightweight that you can quickly move. A set of high-quality functions as befits the best brand of pico projectors on the market, such as Philips.
- Complete: compared to other models, this equipment includes an integrated loudspeaker, as well as several viewfinders that facilitate its use.
- Durable: the RGB bulb that mounts this equipment has a lifespan of up to 30,000 hours
- Compatibility: the video playback system is compatible with all market standards, including the high-quality Full HD 1080P video system.
- Adjustable: includes different settings to adapt the clarity and position of the image, identical to those that have large projectors.
- This projector is designed with 140 lumens, which is considerable in equipment of this type, then you should know that the location of this product with respect to the wall should not be more than 2 meters away.
Recommendation: It is a very comfortable and easy to transport product, its useful life is approximately 3,000 hours and the size of the image that can be projected reaches the size of a 120-inch TV.
10. Artlii:Best Pico Projector under 50
This is the first price I offer, with a price below 50 $. Of course, at this price, you get a product at size XS and 250gr. It also displays a brightness of 600 lumens and a contrast of 800: 1. However, beyond these capabilities a little reduced, you will find a nomadic device nomad since it can run on battery. It will of course read the video media from its USB port or its SD card reader.
This device is relatively quiet and very discreet. It is certainly one of the most mobile mini projectors ever. It is literally in the palm of your hand. Moreover, despite its modest capabilities, it displays a very correct image of 1m50 wide without flinching, in 1080p resolution. It is therefore primarily an entry-level that stands out for its value for money.
Of course, it will be difficult to produce a quality sound because of its size and subtitles or office documents will actually be of poor quality.
Whatever the use of your portable projector, it is not easy to make a choice in view of the multitude of these mini projectors available on the market. That's why we will explain in detail what are the characteristics of your mini projector to consider when buying.
The brightness of a portable Pico projector
The intensity of a video projector is measured in lumens. A lumen is a power unit measuring lighting efficiency. You will often find this power unit on LED bulbs, CFL etc. The pico projector will not have the power equivalent to that of a conventional projector. Let's see what makes your mini projector with X Lumens light efficiency. But note that light output is not always a guarantee of quality.
The connection of a Pico projector
Like most multimedia devices, the mini projector now has a battery of connectors. We will note here the most useful, such as composite, VGA, and HDMI. The latter tends to become a standard and equips most of our devices, such as laptops, media players, TV boxes, and also our smartphones and tablets, which they have a mini HDMI output. The HDMI is connectivity not to neglect as it is widespread on all our multimedia devices.
In addition to the connectivity, let's not forget the wireless technology for the pico projector. It is much more practical not to have to connect a connecting cable when it is possible. It greatly facilitates the task. That's why I prefer to use a mini projector with Wifi for more comfort. Let's summarise the different connections:
- Video Input: Composite, Vga, HDMI
- Wireless: WIFI, Bluetooth
- Memory: USB input and memory card
The resolution of your Pico projector
The FullHD 1080P will be reserved for the high-end mini projector. The size of these mini HD projectors, as well as their weight, will be higher than the projectors having a lower resolution. The smallest projectors will start with a decision of 640 X 360 and can go for projector models a little more imposing up to 1080p. Again, only the budget and the intended use of the projector will determine the choice of resolution.
The contrast of the pico projector
The difference of the portable projector (even for a conventional projector) is to be taken seriously. We will not go into pure technique, but we must remember that the higher the contrast, the better the image quality. The maximum contrast will avoid bland shades in the shaded areas and especially in the black tone. For example, remember the first flat screens, during dark scenes, where the gradient of black was often very bad. Here is in summary what is the contrast of a projector.
The size of the pico projector
The portable projector is not a standard size. Its size will often depend on the technology that the video projector embeds. The format we will express will be Length x Width x Height (L x W x H). The smaller models start with a size of about 8x8x3 to reach larger sizes like 16 x 10 x 5.
The weight of the pico projector
Another advantage of the mini projector is its weight. We will find on the market projectors with a weight of 300 grams, up to 600g or 1kg. (The technology used will determine the importance of the projector)
The technology of the pico projector
There are currently three main technologies for projectors, and I will discuss each in detail below;
The Audio of the Mini Projector
Many of these devices include small internal speakers that we will not recommend here because we know you want quality and these are tiny devices to have a good sound. What we do suggest is to complement your pico projector with a good sound system so that you can take real advantage of your investment.
It is crucial if you are going to give the projector enough mobility. In some places, it may not be possible to plug it into an electrical outlet or,, you do not want to use more cables. For this, choose a pico-projector that has an internal battery and verifies its duration. In our recommended, we suggest several models that have this feature.
How does a pico projector work?
Here is probably the most natural question regarding this type of device. Because to know how to use a pico projector it is hardly necessary to leave the instructions for use. It's very intuitive and very similar to a TV or computer screen, or even to a smartphone screen since now some devices work with Android.
The operation of a pico projector has only three steps:
- Connect the device (or make sure the battery is charged), turn it on,
- Connect the holder containing the document to be projected.
- If necessary, a small thumbwheel can adjust the quality of the image
And that's all!
Watch a video and learn how you can set up the projector on your fingertips
What is the use of a pico projector?
there are many uses of pico, some of them discussed below;
As office equipment and for professionals, the pico projector has the advantage of being more practical than a conventional projector of standard size. Its small size and weight make it easy to install and use during presentation sessions. Now, moving from one place to another with his gear is no longer a problem, everything is in your pocket! Or in the bag!
Given its weight, I can move into the house (and even outside!) With my pico projector, without getting tired and without even realizing that I carry one. For class presentations or for a presentation of memory, or even for evenings projection on holidays (in the garden, or in great summers!), I assure you, a pico projector will make super well in the business you will gladly replace a classic projector.
The ideal device for gamers! Who does not dream of playing his favourite video games on a big screen at your fingertips? Everyone of course. It’s now possible with a pico projector. It can really replace your screen. Just plug your console on your pico projector and go! You can then play wherever you want on the big screen!
Pure happiness for moviegoers, your cinemas will be increased tenfold thanks to countless video projections that can be held anywhere. Similarly, for your movie nights between friends or family, they will be much more fun with pico projectors. It’s up to you to bring your best movies, animations or series in a USB support, insert the USB into your pico projector and you will have only the popcorn to heat!
iPhone, tablet or other smartphones will be the best allies of a pico projector. The HDMI VGA or USB port allows direct connection with the pico projector and it is the same with the wireless, via wifi or Bluetooth. The perfect opportunity to project a video or make a Skype on the big screen.
The advantages of a pico projector?
- The pico projectors are autonomous: the pico projectors work without power supply. The broad autonomy is two hours. Just like your smartphone or mobile phone, it is easy to charge and recharge. Can you imagine that now video projections in the mountains or a cave are feasible?
- The images produced by the pico projectors are good with a correct sharpness. They are visible in optimal conditions of use as in total darkness and with a projection screen at a perfect focal distance.
- But the most significant advantage of pico projectors is their tiny size and weight. These products are ideally designed for nomadic use. They are very mobile and easy to carry. You are spoiled for choice in the bedroom, living room, office, meeting room, etc.
- Also, its installation is not complicated. Just a few simple actions and you're done! For information, models with wifi or Bluetooth are more accessible to install and use, no need for cable.
- These devices are compact! The pico projectors support the physical shocks well. They are sturdy. A fall of one meter in height is nothing. The hull is designed to withstand quite powerful impacts, but the glass part is fragile. The problem is often the loss and not the breakage.
The little aspect of the pico projectors grants them many advantages in the digital universe as I have just mentioned a few. However, the disadvantages exist anyway.
The disadvantages of pico projector
So that you have all the cards in hand when making your choice, it still seems important to you talk about the disadvantages of this type of device.
- Limited power: Forcing, making efforts to reduce the size and weight of the device must make some concessions and portable projectors are less powerful than conventional projectors. It often results in less brightness.
- A more expensive device with equal performance: This is the second problem when comparing with conventional projectors offering the same performance prices are higher. Again this is due to the efforts of manufacturers to provide the most compact devices possible.
- A not great sound: It is a recurring problem for video projectors that are generally thought to be coupled to a sound system, but it is even more apparent on portable devices. So think about finding a small portable speaker to complete your order.
- Requires a flat & white surface: Being able to carry your projector everywhere easily is handy but if you have no surface to project the image on it is not very practical. So you often have to invest in a projection screen not too bulky in addition to your projector.